Mayor de Blasio Appoints Loree Sutton Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Veterans’ Affairs
The Resurrecting Lives Foundation would like to congratulate retired United States Army Brigadier General and psychiatrist Loree Sutton on her appointment to be the Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Veteran’s Affairs for the City of New York. General Sutton was our advisor for the Einstein Study, a study conducted by the Foundation to define the signature brain injury sustained from IED’s. This is great news for New York City, and for all Veterans in the nation to have a person of her expertise in a position to affect change to help our veterans. To Read More click here
Resurrecting Lives Foundation announces our 2014 initiative
EMPLOYER "Adopt a Veteran" Program
Providing employment for our returning heroes with TBI with employers interested in a long term commitments and opportunities for advancement, education, and growth.
Resurrect a HERO - Strengthen a Nation
- 2.5 million men and women have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan over the last 13 years, and it is estimated that nearly 450,000 suffer from mild Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) as a result of their service. Rand Corporation predicts TBI in 20 % of our military. www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9336/index1.html
- TBI is manifested by memory problems, processing difficulties, and, at times, difficulty learning new information without proper training. However, the treatment through cognitive retraining and vocational initiatives utilizing military discipline and skills will retrain the brain for civilian employment. - In these young brains, retraining is key, and connecting the hero with TBI with an employer willing to take a few extra weeks of training, is, our 2014 mission. Employment is key to resurrecting these warriors.
- Unemployment rates among our heroes remain high, higher than the non-veteran, or, around 9% for post 9/11 Veterans. www.adn.com/2014/03/20/3384751/higher-jobless-rates-for-iraq.html
- More Discharges with military draw down will increase the need for employment. mashable.com/2014/02/24/proposed-u-s-military-budget-cuts/
- Our mission in 2014 is to connect our heroes with mTBI to an employer with positions matching the Veterans skills and aptitudes and to continue the long term relationship for reintegration and advancement.
- We will enlighten employers of the many benefits in employing Veterans. www.military.com/veteran-jobs/career-advice/military-transition/4-key-reasons-to-hire-veterans.html
- We will seek to provide employment for heroes and their families by starting a model in OHIO which can be replicated throughout the nation. We will partner with national companies with the opportunities of hiring men/women of multiple skill sets.
WON'T YOU JOIN US?
Resurrect a Hero - Strengthen YOUR company.
Chrisanne Gordon, MD
Chairwoman and Founder
Resurrecting Lives Foundation
|Resurrecting Lives Foundation is proud to be a GuideStar Exchange Member|